Monday, March 9, 2009

No-fuss ice cream

My mum texted me on the weekend to ask for this recipe, so rather than read it out over the phone, I thought Id share it with blogland. Mum and I made a terrific fig jam version of the icecream, with toffee bits sprinked over and through it. It was pretty outstanding. So here you go, folks. Make it, its easy: no stirring every 10 minutes, no fussing about with ice-churns. You'll love it. My yoga teacher kindly left me with this entry in my 'favourite recipes' cookbook. Lord knows I will need to do ALOT of Yoga to burn off the necessary calories!

INGREDIENTS:
4 eggs (separated)
600mls cream (500mls works OK too)
1 cup of castor sugar
vanilla essence
4 Tbs water

1. Whisk egg white until stiff peaks form, gradually add 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until sugar dissolved.
2. Beat egg yolks with water until pale and frothy. And 1/2 cup sugar and beat for 5 minutes. Add vanilla.
3. In a clean bowl, whip cream
4. Fold all ingredients together.
5. FREEZE
6. EAT

VARIATIONS:
*Add a shot or two of coffee instead of water
*Add 3 TBs Honey in with egg yolks
*Fold through fruit or jam just before you freeze
*Fold through melted chocolate or choc chips or even TOFFEE.

4 comments:

  1. yum. damn you jen! so easy it might get made. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANd the best thing is no nasty additives or setting agents comprised of bits and pieces from animal offcuts at the abbatoir...Its frightning what is in standard shop-purchased icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jUST TRYING TO COMMENT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen that was me seeing if one can comment as an anonymous person! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete